Atopic Eczema: What climate is best, dry or humid?

I have a three year old son who has recently showed signs of becoming sensitized, to possibly everything. He has been diagnosed with ATOPIC ECZEMA. I have been researching all over, I understand there is some questions between dermatologists and allergists on what the cause for such a severe condition could be. Me his mother, being the genetic donor of such a horrible affliction, knows the condition first hand.

I strongly believe this condition has several parts to it. One being an immune issue, the second being allergies, and the third part extremely dry and sensitive skin. So with a sliver of knowledge, I am taking aim to improve his condition without the use of the enormous amount of drugs dermatologists have prescribed him at 3 years old. We are working closely with a wonderful allergist who has the patience and knowledge to deal with my family. My question is we now live in Albuquerque, NM. He has been through two RAST tests (blood tests to check for IgE levels), and a patch test which had no results for us to read. He, according to the RAST test has low and moderate levels to most allergic foods (wheat, dairy, corn, soy, eggs, and peanuts), he also shows a low moderate to dogs and elm.

At this point I have not noticed hay fever symptoms for our dogs we have, but with this new information from the blood tests, the dogs and his reactions to them are under my careful observation. He is on a very restricted diet and his skin is clearing with out the prescribed drugs. We will begin introducing one food at a time very soon to see the effects.

So sorry about the long preface to my question. We live in Abq., and have an opportunity to move to Fort Smith Arkansas. With the knowledge he has the possibility for his allergies to get worse (sensitized), which climate would be more likely to exascerbate his condition, the dry and very pollen filled Abq., or Arkansas a humid climate I know very little about? — Kendra, Albuquerque, NM

1. AllergyNurse says:

Being an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) Allergist, the doctor I work for only treats Atopic Eczema on a limited basis. He usually refers those with Atopic Eczema to a Dermatologist as well.

However, Atopic Eczema and/or Allergic Dermatitis is part of the Allergic Triad. I mentioned that in an item I wrote for National Allergy Supply here. I also discussed it here. Since Atopic Eczema is part of the Triad, we do see patients often who have this skin condition.

Eczema does not fare well in dry weather. But sweating and high humidity can irritate the skin as well. Last year we had quite a few days of >100 degree temps with humidity in the 80’s and 90’s in Fort Smith.

Perhaps others who have eczema will offer more help to you. I would think a middle-of-the-road climate would suffice better, but I am not sure if such a climate really exists! Has anyone found a good climate for eczema sufferers?

2. Tracy says:

Santa Maria, California seems to be a great climate for allergies in general. We are on the central coast but not on the water. Just 30 miles up the coast our house near the beach had black mold (it was near the beach) and our allergies were horrible. Also, north of here, about 30 minutes, but more inland, the pollen was terrible (San Luis Obispo) and even my dog had atopic exzema and we went through $4200 in allergy testing and medical emergencies ultimately resulting in her going blind. However, her horrible facial lesions did clear up when we moved to Santa Maria into a place with tile floors, new carpet and plenty of sunshine. I keep her off dirt in general, where mold grows, and I don’t get my carpets shampooed because if they don’t dry out, you get a rampant mold problem. None of the diet changes seemed to be related to her problems, but getting rid of her systemic yeast and all parasites helped her immune system stop overreacting. Good luck!

3. Cupcake915 says:

I also suffer from excema,asthama, and allergies of all sorts. Ive been researching all this past summer because Im totally feed up! I developed all this conditions by living here in El Paso,TX. After all my extensive research, I have found cali and FL are the best climates for allergy suffers. So I am planning to move out to cali by the end of next summer. Anywhere which is “inland” 30mins from the ocean is great for ppl like myself. On the flipside, Living not only in El Paso, but also Lubbock, San Antoino, Arlington, Dallas,Houston, Austin, Pecos, Alpine, and Fort Worth; I can say your best bet is not to move ANYWHERE in TX. The pollen levels across this state are not healthy for allergies suffers let alone non-suffers. The humidity is also an uncomfortable humidity, so while you’d think it would help, it actually makes your conditions worst, especially for excema suffers. So having lived here all my life, I can say please do not move to TX.

4. Betty L. says:

Hi,
    This is now long since past, and if the move was going to be made, it is probably done by now!
    Having said that, I only hope they did not move to Arkansas!
    I have always had allergies. But now I am diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disease. The cedar pollen is murder. And it must have started as of Jan. 1st this year. It is low to med. now, and the worst is coming!!
    I had a horrible time last year with horrible bronchitis, and gut wrenching coughing. You do not want to go around others, as they think you are exposing them to TB or something horrendous.
    2 years ago I went of a cruise. As soon as I hit the beach in Galveston, my ears popped and my head cleared up. I was able to eat most anything on the cruise in that salt air, and got away with it!! What a joy! Now, if I could just live on a cruise ship!
    It has been suggested to me that it was the negative ions in the air. Also look into salt lamps, and salt cave therapy.
    Little Rock is listed #8 on the list now as the worst pollen places in the US. Arkansas, is not very good, but Tenn. was worse last year, as I monitored the pollen counts!
    Hope this can help someone else, at least!
    Betty

5. Beth says:

Hello, I have had both atopic derm and asthma since I was three 3years old and it has ruined my life. i had to leave the gulf coast of mississippi where I was born and raised as around age 23 my skin went wild I never knew what i was going to look like when I woke up in the mornings, i also had several boyfrinds at that tiem in my life but when my skin would flare they magically disappeared, i have been like a prisoner for much of my life. CAnnot take up camping too msny trees m when oyr doors I am a bug fest. I had so many steroids in my younger years that affects your adrenal glands leading mye into obesity. Having siad all that I wound up in california 9 years ago to otnage county. I have would say do not move to san clememnte near the water I had moved htere and was covered in weeping , painful skin from head to toe for 2 years. You will do better away from the coast. Also I noted that you cannot go by pollen counr alone. overall i have done better here than anywhere else phusically. Hpwever being southern and happy on a soical level the people suck. They are isolated and apathetic and look at you like you are a nut case if you are too friendly. so califonria is the best climate but do not move to southern orange ocunty. too snobby and rude cried myself to sleep at night wanting to go home. I was actually told by some people that having my skin problems and being southern would make me a total misfit here and I should move. so do not move to orange county.

6. Amie says:

I tend to think that there is not a great place to live if you have eczema. My son began suffereing with eczema @ 6yrs and it comes and goes in waves. It begans in July and runs its course thru Oct. It is frustrating for me as a mother to have our son go through this. We have tried every lotion and potion oinment prescription and non prescription, now we are trying diet changes. We put our house up for sale so we can move to an area that will help stop his skin problems, we live in northern New Mexico in the mountains and he is basically allergic to sagebrush and juniper which surround us. We thought we would m ove to Midland TX, but after reading above comments about TX maybe that would not be best. Perhaps this is the best place for us unless Alaska would be better.

7. Mona Brannon says:

I was born and raised in Fort Smith, AR. I’ve had eczema since I was a small child. I can remember my mother putting medicine on me at night and then wrapping me in dry cleaning bags so I couldn’t scratch. The dermatologists all told my mother it was caused by stress. As I got older I pretty much outgrew it except for the occasional bout. I moved to Florida almost 4 years ago now. About one year after we got here, I started having unexplained itching, then my eczema started breaking out again and then I developed dermagraphism (a form of hives. As I write this I’m itching so bad I just can’t hardly stand it. I’m taking 4 different medications to try and keep from itching. I would not recommend moving to a tropical climate. I’m extremely allergic to house dust mites. The high humidity and low altitude are a breeding ground for house dust mites. I spent a short time in Colorado and didn’t have problems with any of my allergies. Doing research now to try and determine where’s best to live. Ready to go back to Arkansas.

8. Jemmay says:

i suffer from Eczema and what i do is just take as much vitamins A, C and E supplements plus some topical corticosteroid to remedy the itch.

9. Lynn says:

My 9 year old has severe eczema in the spring and summer. With the current high pollen count of over 2000 today her eyes are swollen, she has a itchy, nasty rash in every crevice of her body, she is sniffling and swollen. Called the doctor for her meds to be refilled. Eye drops, nose spray, claritin, hydroxyzine, and ointment. Surely, something will work to give her some relief today!

10. carrie says:

i’ve been reading about the best climate for people suffering from allergies, atshma, and excema… lots listed for the U.S.. but what about canada? i currently live in eastern canada.. and will move anyhere.. if it means no longer watching my children suffer!!! plaease Help!

11. Pamela says:

My heart goes out to those who I’ve been reading here and breaks for my oldest who is 12. My son is a Triad sufferer and we have lived in East Texas his whole life. We have gone through the whole medications, natural remedy, change in diet routine and nothing seems to help. With age he seems to get better and I have noticed that colder winters do him better. We, too, are looking for somewhere else to live and I am at a loss. My husband has severe osteoarthritis and anything too cold is murder on him. But anything too warm is murder on my oldest. I don’t know if anyone has any good answers but for now I am investigating the states not mentioned – sort of a process of elimination. No news is good news, right? But if you do have any suggestions, I look forward to hearing them.

12. Kelsey says:

My son is a year and a half and was diagnosed with eczema at 3 months. We live in Eagle River, AK (near Anchorage) and it is NOT a good place to live for an eczema sufferer! Despite what people think, Alaska is VERY dry- we live in an Arctic desert, it’s below freezing for 5 months out of the year and the pollen count is very high here during the summer months. I have a friend who couldn’t enlist in the military up here because his eczema was so bad. He moved to Colorado and it cleared up being in a more humid climate and was able to enlist about a year later. Just wanted to share since you were considering moving to Alaska!

13. Lena says:

I have two children with Severe Eczema. :( I absolutley and tired of the pain they go through on a daily basis. Lotions, steroids, meds, asthma, the works. One is 16 and was diagnosed at age 3 yrs and the other is 2 yrs and was diagnosed just a few months ago. We live in Kentucky/ Tennessee area. DO NOT MOVE HERE!!!!! Way to humid and the nature here is out of whack. too much pollen and too many different species of plants. My kids are raw. I am so sad and angry about it. We are going to move but need to find a good place. My Husband is military so it will have to be in one of the bases. I am thinking Arizona or California or even Colorado. Any suggestions????

14. Morgan says:

My son, 12 now, has been through it all and is now with it again since he was 5. Yes, it’s sad and hurts those who love him too.
    We’ve lived in NC, then upstate NY and then back to the mountains of NC and when we move, it seems to help…for a while, but then its back to the same. The seasonal changes do the same, helps for a bit, then reverse. Same for creams, ointments, drugs, wraps, foods and all. Helps for a while…then back. The thing that seems to help is change. We prey he will grow out of it as that seems to be the only thing the medical world, who can’t seem to agree, can offer as a way of hope. Its been like a phantom that just keeps swooping in to steal bits of his life from him.

15. Eric says:

We have a child who has the Allergic Triad since she was 3 years old. We live in Florida and no matter what we try it wont go away. I read that Florida is a good place for this but we would disagree. The last trip to the ocean was not good. She has a bad eczema attack. I am almost ready to check out Colorado. We hate the cold but we are willing to suffer if it would clear the eczema for good. The only other place would be Hawaii but the cost of live is crazy over there. We are losing our minds over this Allergic Triad.

16. Sherryl says:

We live in Perth, Australia – very hot and dry. My daughter developed severe atopic eczema at 3 and it responded to nothing. Some gentic testing revealed a marker for actinic purigo which is virtually unheard of in this part of the world. After 3 years of chronic scrathing, bleeding and sleepless nights we took dermatologist’s suggestion and tried Thalidomide. It has been nothing short of miraculous. She still gets some eczema in very hot conditions, but I found that it just broke that cycle where she reacted to everything that touched her skin. We are soon to move to Houston so will find out how she is in a hot and humid climate. Another thing I found helpful is keeping bed covers lighter than you would expect – sheets only unless under 15 celsius.

17. Sarah Bryan says:

Here in Central Arkansas, the biggest excema trigger for my 12 year olds’ breakouts appears to be cedar/pine pollen count. He was born with food allergies to milk, egg, peanut, mustard, shellfish, but has been able to eat eggs since January 2010. However, he completely lost all his body hair last year over the summer also (related, possibly?). The bummer is that the cedar/pine pollen doesn’t take a rest. It’s not seasonal, but cyclical every few weeks or so throughout this winter season, when one would think one would get a vacation from outdoor allergens. In past years, he has been able to get some fun camping time in in June, and then it is August when we have to start staying indoors. Last year June was starting to be a struggle. He gave up on boy scouts this school year, because he couldn’t camp throughout the school year, and that’s what he enjoyed about scouting – not all the rank advancement. We are hoping that June camping won’t be closing its window on him, too, now. He takes UVB Light box therapy three times a week and constant allergy meds, especially during cedar pollen high alert periods. We refuse to let Mother Nature bring him down. He stays active with gymnastics and swimming (when his skin allows). Fortunately baldness is cool for guys, and he has a great skull shape, although he misses his hair and crazy eyebrows. He is the extrovert of the family, so his personality is strong enough to shine through, to help him battle whatever Mother Nature serves up. We are of the opinion that running to a different climate would not help – that his immune system would find something else to react to; that there is an advantage to staying up against the allergens that he has been born into until they back down. He is also surrounded by a community who knows him and his history, in spite of Mother Nature’s challenges. We have hope also that puberty will bring some changes in immune response, hopefully for the better.

18. Graig Lintz says:

im 48 years old ive been dealing with ezcema about 15 years now when i was younger and in new york i didnt seem to have it i took a trip about two years ago to arizona and stayed there three weeks i was fine i have alot of problems here in fort smith arkansas hunmid weather no a good factor for ezcema makes u sweat more and break out more i have to stay in alot when its so hot and humid out ive had to be on steriods and creams many times over the years im going to a skin doctor on the 5th of april to have some test done im not really sure i want to stay in arkansas much longer with all the trouble ive been through i had a few staff infection over time as well just got rid of one that i was being treated for it was bad alot of antibodics for that and shots to im not sure arizona would be a good place to go but couldnt be worse im sure

19. Carly says:

Being a mother/wife of 3 and giving my children this trait it does really stink. I am 3?? something and had eczema & allergies for years. Always came out during the winter, cold months. Doctors told me to use this lotion or creme and that didn’t work for me. We left NJ in Feb. I had eczema then, now being in Florida it has basically gone away with a spot or an itch here or there, definitely improved.For me and my kids it was the cold weather that brought it out. We are surrounded by beaches so it doesn’t get as humid here is trees, but more palm trees then any. Our allergies aren’t so bad either along with my 16 y/o sons asthma. His asthma also starts acting up dec-feb (cold months). I feel the move Fl was a great choice for us. I think it depends what your body reacts to, cold or warmer.

20. Steve says:

I’ve had atopic allergy and eczema since 6 monts old (Im 49). Trial and error has taught me the following:

1) Phoenix Arizona: is the best place to live. The temperature and barametric pressure remain constant. The dry climate is much more comfortable than humidity which causes sweating.

2) Vanicream Moisturizer: Had no preservatives, Parabens, or fragerances, nor formalsehyde. Use it as soon as you get out of the shower, before your skin dries out, and continue using throughout the day. I buy 16oz jars by the case. Keeping your skin moist is the best prevention.

3) Paleo Diet: is an anti-inflammatory diet. Eliminate foods from the Paleo diet that you know you are allergic to. Paleo Diet Resources: http://www.paleodiet.com/

4) Omega 3: Is anit-inflammatory, and one study shows that it decrease IgE in rats. Make sure that you are not allergic to the source of the Omega 3. For example, many Omega 3 products are derived from Anchovies and Sardines (I am allergic to Anchovies). I do really well on Omega 3 derived from Cod Liver Oil (I buy lemon flavored Cod Liver Oil liquid, tastes like Olive Oil).

5) Talk to your Dr about which anithistamine and allergy shots might be best for you.

21. Denise says:

What part of Florida did you move too? My daughter, now 10, has severe eczema and allergies. She has had problem starting at 6 months old. This past year we had to pull her from school due to itching…chronic headaches…contracted two skin infections. We keep treating the symptoms and not the problem. We have tried everything….food diet, every medicine available, shots, …….you name it..we have probably tried it. We recently took her off most of her medication because none of it seems to work anyway. Every time when we go to Florida….she seems to clear up a little. Seem to feel better. We are thinking of renting in florida for a year to see how she will react to the weather/climate.

22. Mario says:

Funny, I am from Colorado and I experience severe skin reactions regularly. Colorado is too dry. When I go to San Diego on vacation, it all clears up, rashes and all skin afflictions. But only after swimming in the ocean regularly. I was on the internet looking for climates good for excema sufferers and everyone thinks Colorado is the cure! Ironic to me.
    I think what we are all suffering from is inherited weaknesses of the skin. Maybe it just us more than it is climate or anything else…

23. Jennifer says:

I know this thread is old but when my family was at it’s worst breaking point, I would have listened to any shred of advice I could get so I’m hoping that this will help someone out there.

My 10 year old has severe eczema (since 8 weeks old). I won’t go through all the treatments, creams, medicines and eliminations we’ve gone through. You’ve all probably tried them too.

What did work for her was a change of climate. We are from central NC and have traveled in an RV for our non-profit for the last two years. NC is humid, pollinated and moldy. We have been in or through alot of states and I can tell you that KY, TN and Arkansas were the worst.

We stayed in Las Vegas, NV for 5 months. It was gradual really, but she improved and was the best she had ever been. She could swim and that was a great accomplishment. Someone mentioned earlier that each person’s skin as its own inherited weaknesses and I do believe that is true. We have returned to NC to get on our feet and realize what a mistake that is. We will be returning to Vegas as soon as we can.

I am so grateful that through our travels we discovered this. I don’t know if it was the combination of more sunshine, no humidity and mostly no flowers/trees/grass/rain/mold or what but I know that after 5 months, her body had finally detoxed from all that stuff and she was the healthiest she had been in her whole life thus far.

I give the Las Vegas/Henderson valley, Nevada a thumbs up. I hope this helps someone else.

24. Cheryl says:

I got eczema when I was 6 months pregnant with my first son. That was 22 years ago. I seem to find that whenever I go in the ocean I get flare ups. The salt water is very drying to my skin. I am looking for a place to retire and thought of Florida since I love the beach, but not so sure now. Would love any help.

25. Ben Hopkins says:

hello from NZ, we visit relatives in San Diego every July and every year the combination of dry warm weather and lots of direct sunlight (my swimmer son trains two hours per day in an outdoor pool) is miraculous. His eczema disappears completely ! Humidity is the trigger for his eczema. We lived in Vietnam and were unable to stay his eczema was so bad. SoCal rules !!! (what a shame migrating to the States is so difficult).

26. i was sick in south east tx but nothing like when i moved to austin tx, iys gradually gotten worse and worse here,i dont no where to go considering costa rica but not sure, its ashma and sinus, no answers yet,

27. Artin says:

I just recently arrived Brisbane, Australia and will be here for a few months. It’s been almost 4 weeks since I arrived and I’ve noticed my eczema has been exacerbated a lot by the very warm and humid weather, which I think is partly due to the fact that I’m constantly sweating (and as anyone with any experience with eczema knows, constant sweating + sensitive skin = bad combination). I came here from Canada where it was winter, mind you a relatively mild and humid winter when I left. In general, my eczema tends to be better in drier climates IF and ONLY IF I moisturize a lot (vaseline, the petroleum jelly kind works great for dry, harsh winters). I find that in dry climates, the problem tends to be more cracking and rupturing of the skin due to extreme dryness whereas in humid and warm conditions the problem tends to be more due itchiness as a result of hypersensitivity to sweating.

28. David says:

My 10 year old daughter has suffered from eczema since 7mo. Dealing with the climate in Washington DC had been a work in progress. We found that Vanicream worked in the summer and Aquafer worked in the winter… Vanicream is cooler for summer months but less moisterizing. Aquafer is more moisterizing but can make you hot. Steroid creams control the flair-ups and Protopic is less damaging and used for medium flair-ups. Compounding this are allergies to fish, nuts, and dairy. Now we just moved to Manila. There is no winter, bad air pollution, and about the same amount of humidity as DC. We can’t find Aquafer or Vanicream here and so we just had some imported. Her school has the hallways outdoors and the classrooms air conditioned so she is dealing with climate changes at regular intervals. The last six months have been a struggle for her. She is now having bad heat rashes. It seems to me that eczema is controlled only through a discovery process.. trial and error. We may need to end our contract in Manila early if a balance between skin and climate can’t be found.

29. Ronni says:

I am 46 yrs old and have lived in deep south Texas (Harlingen) for 15 years and have to finally accept that the high humidity is my worst enemy. I feel like I’m allergic to my own sweat and the humidity is a great breeding ground for dustmites which I know are also a trigger. My chronic, intense flare-ups are steadily more often now these past five years than the sporadic yearly flare-ups before then. I’ve even had MRSA infections as a by-product of the intense flare-ups. I’ve tried every ointment, cream, otc and prescription drug possible. My dermatologist called me a “hard case”. When my skin is cracking and scaling I’ve had to resort to vegtable shortning (works better than vaseline and is not a petroleum product). I grew up in west, TX and had eczema there also, but very mild to what I’m having now. I think that was more “dry skin” related. The sweat caused by high humidity of deep south Texas is toxic to my skin; so is the salt water from the Gulf. I do not rercommend south Texas for eczema sufferers. I think that a high, dry, four season climate would do better for me. Sadly, my husband and I have a profitable local business we would have to give up, but my condition has been that bad. Money is nice, but health is wealth.

30. Alice says:

I’m a 12-year-old Asian girl (although i’m still young but I know heaps about eczema). I was born with eczema and have other allergies such as asthma and i’m allergic to dairy and eggs. I have eczema all over my body, apart from my legs (which is healed by now because i don’t usually itch it, much). My family moved to China for a year and a half, and from my experiences i noticed that hot places such as Shenzhen (in the summer) is good for the skin. Because when ever you move you sweat a lot so that really helps getting your skin moisturized. So exercise a lot to sweat. When you take showers use a warm-sort-of-cold water this will help not to make the skin itchy afterwards. My skin is worst at the time of the changing seasons and is very dry in some places in winter. I suggest if your skin is dry in winter you should only take showers 2-3 times a week, so you won’t wash of the oil on your skin (from the creams you use). And also in winter you should take baths. Use warm water (not because hot water makes you skin hot and itchy) and don’t wash for over 10minutes. And most important, control yourself and try to stop yourself from scratching. I have a lot of scars now. I usually hold two cold rocks in my hands to distract me from itching. If you don’t scratch often then it gives time for you skin to heal and if you keep scratching when it itches it just make it worse. Try new moisturizers that’s feels better for you or try new places to live, because you are your best doctor.

I hoped this helps!!:D
    By the way my skin isn’t completely healed yet. My parents are still trying new places to live.

1. Mark says:

Thanks Alice! My eczema actually completely went away when I lived in Shanghai for 3 years which is hot and humid. Living in China radically changed my diet as they eat much healthier there. I moved back to NY a few years ago and things are getting much worse for me now. I’m extremely allergic to dust mites, but beyond that am still not sure what the cause is. I use dustmitex and freeze my clothes to kill the mites which stops my migraines.

31. Pat says:

I’m 62 years old. I was born with allergies and have suffered from them and eczema all my life. However, when I spent 20 years in the tropics, about 9 degrees north of the equator, my eczema virtually disappeared. I had to be careful not to sweat, which was just doable with care, and I showered at least two, sometimes three times per day, but ALL my bad patches disappeared except for one tiny dime sized mild patch on my back shoulder. And, for the first time in my life I didn’t have to take any medications; I just used a normal moisturizer now and again, but even that was not a daily chore. When I then moved back to Canada everything erupted again and I am back to struggling with this nasty condition again.

1. eshwari says:

hi….i am very greatfull to see ur mesg.your age brings some hope to me….srry to say that but my deteriorating health always brought a doubt in my mind that….if i look aged nd old by 23 yrs old then how can i reach my old age….60’s….and hw difficult it would be to live myself.i am an indian….nd a doctor….thinking to move to california…as suggested by others.i think we people get cured by tender love and care nd a peacefull life with good habbits nd diet without stress

32. Hanmee says:

It’s become clear that everyone has to find out what their particular triggers are. I gree up in northern Virginia and never recall having any allergies at all. I lived in a typical small suburban area.

In 1999, I moved to San Diego for a job. In 2001 or 2002, I developed eczema. The flare up startd after we moved to a different office building and my office thermostat was connected to the one for the computer room. That is, it was very cold. I would be freezing and my fingernails would turn purple. The computer room was eventually relocated downstairs, but the eczema stayed. I moved back to northern Virginia in 2003, still had the eczema, and then over time realized that I now had allergies. I was not in the exact same type of neighboorhood (a lot more tree cover). So, I just mostly wanted to point out that despite being in San diego, which is less humid, but still gets some heat in the winter, and coming from an area rife with pollen, I didn’t have any problems until after I moved into San Diego and had that issue with my office climate.

I have noticed my eczema has been a little better the last few days (I see skin growing back! I am at Hilton Head visiting in-laws, and I don’t know if it’s the coastal air or lack of stress (since it’s vacation), but I dread going back and losing the skin…

33. jenny says:

Agree with Kelsie above. Stay away from Alaska! I grew up in AK and the extremely dry weather wreaked havoc on my skin. I was miserable. I saw many dermatologists as a child. The only time it would clear up is when I visited my grandparents in Phoenix. It was terrible in Michigan as well. It did seem okay in California, about 20 miles inland from LA. In fact, it cleared up so much that I went to a dermatologist while I was there who stated he “was not impressed with my eczema.” After years of battling the itching and rashes, I thought I would never hear that. However, I did have an allergic reaction with swelling of the eyes to something in the brush there. Everytime I hiked or rode in the spring, my eyes would swell terribly, to the point where it was visibly noticeable. No eczema, though. I am now back in Phx., and it still acts up. I am not sure that Phx. is as good a place for it, but it is certainly better than Alaska.

34. laurie says:

I’m beginning to think that way too many people suffer from excema! I grew up in Chicago and had flare up on and off. I felt great in San Diego most of the time with very few allergy or excema problems. I’m living in the Porlland OR area and my excema has come back.

I did find an allergist who tested me for chemical allergies and the culprit was Costco’s free and Clear laundry soap. Once I stopped using it, my skin improved.

Stress has a lot to do with excema as well as sweating, humidity and very dry air. Maybe we should all move to the dead sea. I think the dead sea is very good for us.

35. Amie says:

Well I last posted in 2009 and here we are in 2012. We are still living in northern NM my son is now 12 and this past 3 weeks have been the worst flare up of rash ever! From head to toe covered in rash and the back of his leg look as though he got burned! I mix zinc oxyde ointment with tea tree/ oregano cream, I do the clorox bath, I spray his body with vinager/water while he is in shower!! At this point I am sick to my stomach that I have not been able to heal his skin!! What used to work no longer works!! I’m with the Laurie, lets all go the the Dead Sea!!

36. Megan915 says:

So after reading everyones comments on this thread it has me thinking and feeling like I am not alone. I suffer from eczema and I feel as this ITCH is only getting worse. I moved from El Paso,tx to College Station, TX back in January of this year. It has only gotten worse. I moved here thinking the humidity would do me good as far as my asthma goes. It has helped my asthma very little to none. My eczema has only gotten worse here. Although i still had bad eczema in El Paso. I feel as though moving to central texas made it worst and its a different kind of rash here. I know i suffer from food allergies, and I know my other trigers. But I am here thinking maybe moving here was a VERY poor choice of decision. I feel like this situtation of having eczema has put me on hold with school/ and my social life.I must say that I go to Miami,FL every year and everytime I go my skin does feel different and clears some. I am really interested to hear if anyone has moved from TEXAS to either cali or colorado. I’m sick of this and i want to be comfortable in my own skin.

37. Season Dow says:

Ok, so I have been dealing with the eczema and extreme allergies with my little girl for 6 years now. She was born with eczema and has suffered with food and outdoor allergies her entire short life. It is miserable to watch her suffer so. But I have learned some good routines that help, not cure though. I know that eczema is a lack of moisture in the skin, but water is an enemy to anyone with eczema. The trick is to seal in the moisture. So we have a twice a day bath routine where we medicate with DermaSoothe Oil (the best in my opinion) and immediately apply a layer of Aquaphor or store brand equivalent. This is putting the moisture in the skin where their skin can not do it on it’s own. This is the ONLY thing that works and we have tried EVERYTHING. It is exhausting and time consuming, but the relief it gives her is worth it. Now, that being said, we have lived in several different places and FL (where humidity is high) is not a good place for eczema sufferers. Doesn’t make sense because you would think water in the air would help a person lacking moisture in the skin, but it is the case nonetheless. Too dry is not good either. We have lived in FL, AZ, and CO and Colorado is where she did best. Also, be aware of season changes. Every season change, her eczema goes a little wild, so we have to up our routine to be proactive. The key is to stay on top of it and not let it get out of hand. Also, avoid activities where you will be sweating. We choose to do indoor, air-conditioned sports, i.e. gymnastics and outdoor sports in the fall or winter. I hope these suggestions help. They have helped us. Good luck!

1. William says:

I want to thank you for posting this routine. I’m going to try this out with my 1 year old son who has severe eczema. First outbreak we didn’t know what it was. Went to the emergency room, none of the nurses knew what this was either. The doctor finally diagnosed it as severe eczema. Nurses didn’t know what it was because they had never seen it this severe.
      I’m hoping the routine for you girl works for my boy. Keeping fingers crossed.

38. Kristine says:

I am 22 and have had eczema my whole life. My brothers and I inherited it from our mother. I spent the first 19 years of my life in Huntington Beach, CA. I didnt have any known food allergies or other allergies besides eczema. My brothers did have some allergies though. Growing up I tried many different lotions and creams. I noticed that when I played sports and sweat, it definitely triggered my itching. During the summer I noticed my eczema would get worse but for the most part it seemed contained using normal moisturizers. I ate whatever I wanted and wasn’t concerned with my detergents, shampoos and other cleaning products. In 2010 I moved to Honolulu, HI. It was the first time I had ever lived somewhere other than HB and my eczema immediately began flaring up. I knew I didn’t like the humidity but I began to hate it as I was constantly hot, sweaty, and itchy. Hawaii is know to have constant changes in wetter as well. The day could start off cloudy, rain, sunny and humid all within 24 hours. Not until I moved to Hawaii did I start using topical steroid creams and begin changing my lifestyle. I made sure to buy non fragrant hypoallergenic for sensitive skin detergents, shampoos, soaps and face wash for the first time in my life. The steroid creams were very effective until the time I had to take off of them and my skin would immediately flare up. I have now looked to more natural treatments and remedies since I do not want to become dependent on the steroids that are thinning out my skin. Just recently I decided to change my diet by cutting out meat, dairy products and trying to minimize my gluten intake. On one website I read it said to not eat soy but for vegans that is very difficult. I have been off the steroids for a couple weeks and been trying to stick to my diet for about 3 weeks and my eczema still flares up. I also know that alcohol triggers redness and itching for me. I read that it is important to cleanse your liver and gastrointestinal tract. I am going to keep trying all these things for at least a few months to see if I notice results but I hate that I feel restricted from the things I love to do such as outdoor activities that make me sweat or swimming in the ocean when my eczema flares up and I have too many open wounds. As much as I love Hawaii, I would not reccomend humid places for eczema. As for other allergies, I dont know, but the Mediterranean climate of Orange Couty, CA seemed to work best for me.

39. Babak says:

For me sweating is the culprit. I am a mountaineer, and it recks havoc on my private parts. Cold/dry weather is not good. But worst of all is the STRESS–getting stressed can be a trigger. I never had Eczema, till I hit age 60. So old age = dryer skin.

Best wishes

40. Natalie says:

I suffer from eczema, and I grew up in Illinois as a child. I moved to Arizona, which is extremely dry and I have never had an eczema outbreak in the 8 years I have lived here. However, when I travel to climates where there is more humidity, I do have outbreaks. So a dry climate actually is what’s best for me!

41. Beula says:

I developed Eczema 17 yrs ago when I lived in Chicago.My deratologist said the have never seen a such a bad eczema.I went through all on earth I know of.Now I moved to Las vegas .I feel I have gone from fire to frying pan.My skin is not able to take anything in Las vegas.I saw 2 Doctors today who advised that I move to California.It is confusing after I read all above.The best my skin felt ever was when I was on a cruise to Alaska.I don,t know where to go.

42. farrah says:

I am 28 years, Chinese girl, born in ontario, canada, have suffered from ezcema since I was a baby. It was very bad until I was 10 at least. Then it calmed down. Had flare ups when I went under the sun. Then after teachers college decided to go to South Korea to teach English. I’ve been there before for 1 month in the summer for summer camps, and my skin was fine. So I decided to teach in South Korea for 1 year starting Feb2012. In two months my skin starting reacting. Getting swollen and red. I think because it was changing seasons. I
    had no idea what I was allergic to! It started getting worst. Lasted 10 months. The worst stage was when my face was swollen, red, pussing, bleeding, and had hard painful skin. I went to see 4 doctors. 2 oriental doctor and 2 western doctor. 1 oriental doctor said it’s my liver. My liver is not helping my body take out the toxins. So I needed to detox. 1 western doctor gave me a very strong pill to take. It helped surpress my immmune system. It really worked but as soon as you stop taking it, it will come back. However, it is a good medicine to take if you want your life back meanwhile you look for a place to live. It’s called cyclosporin. You can also take steriod pills. South Korea wasn’t good for my skin because there is too much dust build up, air doesn’t seem to move, and weather is too extreme. Wayyy too dry in the winter and wayy too humid in the summer. I live in Toronto, Ontario and it seems to be okay. Mostly dry here and not so dusty. But i do get nasel allergies from the trees abd ragweed.

43. Michele says:

I and my twins (only 6 yrs old now) have suffered on and off with eczema for years. My children suffered from severe eczema starting at birth until about 4 years old and we used a myriad of creams that only mildly worked. While I think that eczema can have different triggers for people, I believe that it is mainly an immune response to a weakened immune system. What finally worked for my family was shifting to a completely plant-based diet, eliminating all dairy, gluten, white sugar and most of all, processed foods. We ate only things grown in the earth (including lots of green smoothies), and we all had an incredible recovery within weeks.

44. William says:

I am 28 years old with severe allergies and allergy induced asthma, but have never been able to get tested for the triggers. At times even Benadryl mixed with another non-drowsy form of allergy medication wont aid my symptoms. I have suffered with this for many years and now my 1 year old twins have now developed moderate allergies, and my son has eczema. In the winter his skin would only flare up if he went outside, I believe because of the cold dry air. But now, in allergy season, his skin is not responding to anything. I can only assume that he will also end up with asthma to complete the triad.
    We currently live in Fresno, CA. I bowl of dust and pollen. An allergy sufferers nightmare. We are looking at the option of moving from here, was looking at Georgia area because my allergies seem to not flare up there and I figured moving to a more humid climate would help my sons dry skin. But after reading this I am unsure if the humidity will help him.
    I am open to any suggestion at this point. We have tried 7 different types of creams, 3 types of lotions, doctor prescribed Benadryl, hydrocortisone and desonide. Nothing has worked so far except the desonide that we are not suppose to use for more than a week at a time due to scarring.

45. Melissa Zarb says:

I am a 36 year old and live in Malta Europe an island in the middle of med sea got a topic eczema all my life. Here we can swim all year round nearly but still eczema does not ease downalso climate is hot and humid and windy so it brings lots of pollution etc.

Thanks aloa lot hope one day we solve this problem

46. Plants migrate. Who knows why? My point is that moving is not always a solution. Also, the body–it seems–does not respond to a trigger immediately. I moved from Alaska, near the coast, to Arizona. I was allergy and eczema free for the first year. Afterwards, my eczema and allergies increased.
    One hypothesis, I’ve considered is that the value of living on or near the coast relates to the absence of plants, but this–due to changes in wind direction–may not be a solution either.
    Food is another consideration. With the chemicals now being used in food production, who can say if they are reacting to the natural food or man-made additives?

47. Sayira Silverio says:

I am 14 years old, and I have asthma, allergies, and eczema. My asthma is allergy-induced, and I got asthma at the age of six, but it is more controlled indoors. I’m allergic to peanut butter, eggs, certain soy ingredients, certain grains, and certain fruits. I’ve had eczema since birth, starting mainly in my legs. Over the years its had yet to improve–in fact, I think it’s much worse! My eczema is on the back of my legs, my feet, my elbows, the inside of my arms, my neck, below the ears–and I even get white flakes all over my forehead, around the eye/eyebrow area, below the ears and the neck! My eczema has been a huge factor in my deflated self-esteem. It’s extremely frustrating. But, it’s partly my fault. I scratch, because I can’t help it. My skin is outrageously dry, and sensitive. The best thing to do is to see a dermatologist, and see which creams work best for you. As your son gets older, it’s important to teach him how to apply his creams and to not neglect the use of them, because they’ll become an important part of his life. It’s also best to include a diet consisting of vitamins A, D, and E. In regards to your climate question, it’s best to move somewhere where the climate doesn’t change often. I live in Rhode Island–and we experience all four seasons here, and it’s hard for my skin to adapt. The best place to live is somewhere not too hot, but not too cold. Cold winters are definitely a no. My eczema is worse in the winters. However, outrageously hot summers are also bad, because they can make my skin itch, and i’ll be wearing shorter clothes, which means more people are able to see my eczema, and it’s often embarrassing for me. Although I wish a place with eternal spring weather existed, I’d have to say the best place to live would probably be Florida. Their winters are cool/calm. I’ve been told many times the eczema often goes away as you become an adult, so have faith. In spite all that I’ve been through, I’m not giving up. I’m doing the best I can to have as normal skin as possible–even if it will never be 100% ‘normal.’

48. Kristine says:

Hi I suffered with severe eczema when I was a child, one of the worst cases in history to the point I was the “poster child” for many clinical studies – I can tell you climate and temper are also two triggers.

I have what is known as a “wet type” it results in rash, open stores, large patches of inflammation filled pods along the inside of my palms and bottom of feet especially- when I become angry it heats up the blood, it causes me to have flare ups, cucumbers and watermelons are suggested to keep my blood cool

Humid climates are also a no no, I lived in Arizona which is a dry heat and worked well for my eczema, I then moved to San Francisco which is dry cold, also works well, I as raised in a humid hot climate which was where my eczema was at its absolute worst

49. carrie says:

So here is the deal. We live in santa clarita , ca and my daughter who is seven suffers severe allergies. The worst ever here. Eczema to food allergies. Her eczema is not better here and everything blooms and the wind blows a lot here. It is 30 min from the ocean and 30 mins outside LA. My oldest when he was young was healed from san Diego. So reAlly it depends.

50. Nikki says:

I see this a long running post but here are my experiences.y husband and I both grew up in Indiana and never even heard of eczema. We lived in Indianapolis and I can’t ever recall ever even seeing anyone with ecxema. My husband joined the military and when in Iraq suffered his first ecxema outbreak. The Dr said it was due to the dessert climate. We now live in nothern Virginia and our daughter as well as my husband still get flares ups regularly. Due to the extreme humidity. I’m certainly not an expert but Indiana seems to be a good place to be for it. It’s neither arid nor extremely humid. It’s somewhere in the middle, just like the state. Whenevery daughter and husband need relief we
    Go to IN to visit grandma and it clears up. I hope you all find relief.

51. Natalie says:

Hoping to get some insight here. My 5yr old daughter has suffered with severe eczema her whole life. Steroids, creams, and wet wrapping are daily treatments we use to keep her eczema tolerable. The kicker to her situation is that she also has anhidrosis (inability to sweat). We live in TX and are considering a move just so that she may have a somewhat normal childhood. With it being over 75 degrees 8 months out of the year she is confined to the house and unable to participate in recess or other outdoor activities at school. We are thinking of moving to Washington. Possibly Seattle in hopes that a cooler, damp climate might help. Not looking for a cure but just so that she may have a better quality of life. Does anyone have an opinion for us? Thanks

52. Pat says:

Since moving back to Canada (and yes, if I could afford to I certainly would have moved back to my humid eczema-free tropics but I can’t afford it so am stuck here) my eczema has become progressively worse. Since it is something I have dealt with since birth I can manage most of it, but the part I am having trouble with right now is the area around the inside corner of my eyes. The worst part is the hard prickly crust that forms just at the exact v and which bothers me so much, especially when I am doing things like driving, that I find it hard to concentrate and end up just digging and digging at it to remove it so I can drive in peace. It isn’t anywhere near the iris or pupil but it somehow irritates my vision and makes it a little foggy (perhaps the eyeball creating a mucuous to prevent the crust/flake from scatching the eyeball?). I end up digging at it so much that I often break the skin there. I can’t use cortizone cream next to the eye ( labels say it could give you glaucoma and cause blindness?) so would be grateful for any advice on other ways to deal with this.

53. Veera says:

i’m 22 and born and raised in finland, northern europe. its definitely the worst place to be in winter – which i tell you always seemed as endless . ive always had eczema, it was bad when i was 4-7 and i also had astma then. the rash came up much worse around age 14 until today. then i moved to western france with british climate, a lot of humidity and rain. my scalp was still itchy and i remember using a lot of hydrocortisone even there. especially the spring was humid and dry in turns and my eyes were super dry and itchy. well, summer anywhere in europe has usually made things a little easier for me, the mediterranean climate in southern france has been perfect. i also traveled in asia and australia. in asia any tiny cuts that i had (which easily come whilst backpacking) would get infected and pus came out, i was on antibiotics 3x. bangkok was probably the worst. perth, western australia healed my skin. its hot, dry and by the ocean just like mediterranean summers! northern tropical australia was ok but sweating was terrible. south australia wasnt good although it was +30 and dry when i was there. new zealand was terrible. the weather changed constantly, so no no. now i live in the netherlands. the climate has gone all weird from rainy and humid to dry and warm which has caused my eczema to flare up for the worst time in 7 months… im going to southern france next week but also finland shortly after so we’ll see. in summer i’ll be in spain. should be good apart from sweating. stress has a drastic impact on my flaring up. i’m also trying my best to avoid dairy products and replace with soy ones. fruits, oatmeal, nuts. loads of water. my weakness is chocolate, i should go to rehab… o_O i dont drink too much alcohol anymore. no daily showers. no gym when flaring up very acute. yoga and gym as much as possible when the skin’s ok. what else… well, cream but as natural as possible, im really trying to stay away from hydrocortisone and steroids. i also have hypothyroide so my thyroxine levels probably have an effect on my skin. i cook with coconut oil and try to stay cool during the nights. still dont know how to stop scratching. its always been a bad thing for my self esteem. i could look amazing if i first felt amazing in my body… good luck everyone, let me know if you are group invading dead sea, i’m in!!

54. Hannah says:

We used to live in Texas in the DFW area. My daughter had eczema, but never as bad as she got it this winter when we moved to Pennsylvania. She is 8 years old with eczema and asthma and allergies. I have read that in winter if you get a humidifier for your bedroom to moisten the air, it helps. We have recently found that Aveeno products work well. My daughter soaks in the bathtub with the Aveeno colloidial oatmeal bath treatments ( powder packets that we add to her bath) and then when she gets out of the tub we apply the Aveeno ointment specifically for eczema ( it costs 9.99 for a squeeze tube at rite aid drug store) on her skin after I pat her dry, apparently this Aveeno ointment is a new product bc the tube says that it is “new from Aveeno”. I tell her to rub her skin lightly when it itches and try to get her not to scratch the dry skin open. She has tshirt fabric cotton sheets on her bed and she takes one Clariton 24 hour allergy relief pill a day. Also, I do not tight shorts, jeans or nylon leggings on her bc the clothes rub on the eczema and cause flare ups due to chaffing. She wears cotton sundresses and I am very cautious about her skin an constantly aware of maintaining the eczema. The last and final step that we are going to implement into her life is a healthier diet. I believe God made fruit and vegetables for a reason and eating healthy is a huge factor with internal health. We are going to try this new diet and see if we can get her body completely healed.

1. Lois (admin) says:

Hannah, I am glad you have found some treatments that help your daughter, and that you are on top of the this to help her as much as possible. I salute you for looking to foods as God made them to help your daughter. We have done so much to ruin our food supply in the past 20 to 40 years with genetic engeneering and hormone fed animals and toxins such as flavor enhancers, preservatives, coloring agents added, not to mention insecticides that are sometimes indiscriminately used on our food befoe it reaches our grocer’s produce isle. (Be sure to wash all produce before eating.)

You’re right, God got it right in the first place and we can’t improve on his creation. I started Rick Warren’s Daniel Plan diet (http://www.danielplan.com/) with a group in my church a few weeks ago and I am very pleased with it. It promotes healthy eating as God created. I have lost some weight, more needed to lose. But the greatest gain is that I am healthier.

Thank you for sharing the things that are working for your daughter!

55. Hannah says:

P.S. The Aveeno Bath Oatmeal Bath packets have 8 packets to a box and cost about 6.97 at Walmart. that is less than one dollar per bath soak treatment.

56. Lu says:

I have this around my mouth between my eyes, eye brows, nose, hands, and the front of my legs in the winter. I also get overly dry scalp and arms in the winter. I find that if I use lotion on my hands I get too hot and it triggers the ecxema to flare up around my face and mouth. I have found the best thing I can do is not to use sulfites to wash my face but I do use a toothpaste with sls in it. I cannot use baking soda as it triggers it too. I find that too much corn starch triggers it, and eating whey and most all dairy and certainly vinegar items and pastas with either tomato or white sauces. Vinegar or tomato sauces make painful sores and hives, and white sauces (dairy) cause the thick dry flaking excema skin all around the mouth nose between the eyebrows. Horrible. I have tried lots of things but am afraid to use steroids. The thing I find to work the best for me to halt the reaction of either of these rashes I get is white Dial soap. Ive tried the yellow Dial and it made it worse. Ive tried other soaps and it made it worse. ive tried every sensitive skin or whatever for the face and nothing else works. It works when it is winter out and it works when it is horrible humid summer out. I am going to Arizona (by car) from the Midwest soon and cannot wait to see if I feel better there. It will be hot there and dry and I am eager to see if this actually makes me heal. I always feel better when I am in dry heat and wont have to be out in it constantly either. My hands always want to heal when I drive and they start to warm but are not sweating. I will report back on my findings. I also want to say I cannot drink lemon lime drinks or I get this all around my mouth, (flaking thick itching rashy skin) but I can drink lemonade (Simply Lemonade brand). Minutemade causes the rashes to come out. I know excema for me is an allergy thing. I am so anxious to find out if being in the dry climate will help so I will definitely let you know.

1. Lois (admin) says:

Lu, thank you for sharing the things that help you with excema. I hope your trip to Arizona gives you some relief. Do let us know how it turns out!
      Lois

57. Viki says:

As a Triad + Migraine sufferer of 40+ years I can tell you that altitude and humidity absolutely trigger “everything” for me. I have lived in SoCal (inland) for the majority of my life, having most of my flare ups and ER visits during childhood thru teen years. They weren’t too bad, except for the ER visits. I am allergic to insects (just landing on me is enough to trigger a rash of hives, a bite equals insane itching and oozing), grass, weeds, trees, dust (inside and outside), 2nd hand cigarette smoke. I can even tell you if a fly is in the room before I even see or hear it. I have many indoor allergies too (fun…nope).

We moved to Honolulu, Hawaii (inland) a few years back and it was great for my health, it was like living in So Cal, but breezier, we rarely turned on the AC unit (another trigger for asthma). I didn’t want to have to move from there, but we had a work transfer.

In 2010 we moved to the very Southern end of Florida (east coast side) and I hate it here. Now days, I can not even go outside to walk my dogs for a measly 5 minutes if the neighbor’s gardener is out there ( I have literally lost my voice from all of the hacking up a lung I was doing every night for 2 weeks- trying to get “that irritant” out of my delicate little lungs). If I stay inside all day, I have to deal with the AC Unit-cause it’s so hot and humid here ( there’s the temperature forecast and then there’s the “real feel” temp- usually about 5-10 degrees hotter than the temperature forecast-so an 87 high feels like 97 high), so you have to have the AC running 24/7- so more lung hacking -the AC dust I’m allergic to and the AC Cold aggravates my asthma. If that wasn’t bad enough, my eczema is going into over drive right now and I have those little itchy oozy then crusty bumps allover my arms ( for about 3 years) and has now traveled to my shoulder blades, neck and scalp , for the past 3 months and its gotten even worse- I’m not sure if its contact allergic dermatitis or if the bugs are just eating me alive.
    Well I’ve got to go comb the itch out of my hair- I vote for So Cali, Arizona, Nevada, possibly New Mexico- Nothing ever on the East Coast.

My husband wants to move to Texas (South area along the Gulf) next year, I have been wanting to move to Nevada- a dry heat and a break from the rain and humidity (and bad drivers) of Florida . I really am not looking forward to trading in one crappy for my heath state for another just as crappy for my health state.

58. Dawn says:

My son developed eczema at 6 weeks of age. He is now almost 4 and we have tried everything. With severe food allergies his diet is very limited, meat and select fruits.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome this link was given to me by his allergist he said it is very accurate. It helps connect the dots…I also do bleach baths 3X a week this helps with the infections. I have also found that adding a small amount of Olive Oil to the bath water helps his skin stay moist. We live in Californias Central Valley with all the orchards, dust and pollens its a constant battle. He cleared up almost 100% but that only lasted about 4 months. with the seasons changing something has set him off and his whole body is broke out. We also were looking into moving to Texas but after reading not sure where to go. I want out of this valley because it traps all the nasty air.