Allergies in New York Hudson Valley-where to move?

I’m at my wit’s end…I live in New York’s Hudson Valley, and am uncomfortable all year ’round. My headaches are constant, and some days the inner ears fill up and cause dizziness/vertigo. I’m disgusted with allergists, ENT’s and most doctors in general. when asked what I should do to optimise my health, five different physicians told me, “move” but none have any suggestions as to where one should move to. I have no asthma issues (that I know of) and would just like some tips as to what area would cut down on headaches (acute and chronic) dizziness, and optimise mental clarity. Any ideas? – Paul, New York

1. christa says:

I am from S.carolina and suffered bad allergies every fall and spring all of my life. After marrying and settling down in North Fort Lauderdale in an area called Deerfield Beach I came upon a wonderful discovery that i no longer suffered from seasonal allergies. we lived there for 6 wonderful years and I honestly forgot that I had ever had allergies- because in wonderful Deerfield Beach there was nothing but Palm trees and pavement and not much else.After my husband AND I both graduated from college we moved to the gulf of mexico coast in Naples, Florida. What a mistake!!!!!!!! My allergies returned with a vengegance. I forgot to look around at the trees when interviewing for jobs . had i actually stopped to look around i would have noticed that collier county is inundated with pine trees-my main source of allergic misery. Every year that we have lived here(4years) has progrssively gotten worse. to the point i can barely function Jan -april. we are thinking about heading back to deerfield beach and selling the house so i can live a normal healthy life. You should take a trip to Deerfield Beach. I wish you the best!!!!Christa, Naples,Florida

2. John Fisher says:

I was thinking about Phoenix

3. chris says:

Gosh I used to live in NY and had bad asthma. Now I’m in NM and have the headaches/vertigo, etc most of the year. I give up too.

4. Jeanette says:

Paul,
    I have the exact same problem, but I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. ENTs and allergists have done nothing for me. My middle ear also fills with fluid and sometimes I get vertigo. What’s the point of spring and summer at all? I feel like I need to move to the tropics. I do have a couple of suggestions though. Right now I’m trying the anti-inflammatory diet. It’s pretty boring, but it’s very healthy, and I think it does help to some extent. Also, I just found out about this device called the Earpopper. It helps the fluid in your ears drain. I don’t know if it works, but I’m hoping to get my hands on it to see if it will.
    Let me know if you’d like to discuss this more! squee_@hotmail.com
    ~Jeanette

5. Courtney says:

Hello, I’ve never had allergies in my life and I’m 27…that is until I moved to Northern California. I lived in Michigan until I was 21 and never had a problem, moved to Arizona for almost six years, and never had a problem there either. Had I lived in CA earlier, I think I would have gotten them. I’ve been here for three weeks, and starting the third week, I’ve been miserable. Constant headaches, and if I take any medicine, it only seems to work for a few hours. Then comes the dizziness and I’m not able to concentrate some times. I thought there was something very wrong with me until reading some of your posts. What exactly is Vertigo? Thanks for clarifying some of my worries! I’m only here for a year while my fiancee is in Korea and I’m already thinking of commuting alot to rid myself of these headaches!

Courtney

6. AllergyNurse says:

Patients with vertigo often say they feel like things are spinning around them, as opposed to dizziness which is the typical light-headed feeling.

Your dizziness, vertigo, headaches, and lack of concentration may be coincidental to your move to a new area. By themselves, those symptoms do not sound like an allergic response. Sneezing, watery itchy eyes, and a runny nose are the typical allergy symptoms.

Headaches can be caused by a sinus infection related to allergies (which needs treatment by a physician), or by any number of other things ranging from minor to serious medical problems. Dizziness and vertigo often are related to inner ear problems, but they may also be signs of more serious medical issues.

Lack of concentration can be related to many things: stress, lack of sleep, as well as difficulty maintaining focus because of headaches, dizziness, etc. Lack of concentration can potentially be related to more serious medical problems also.

A medical doctor can help you determine what is causing your symptoms and the best treatment for them.

7. Carolyn says:

Ever since I relocated to Texas from California,I have been plagued with headaches. Last year had to take antibiotics to relieve my sinus. Now my headaches are back, my MD told me it is Central Texas allergies. DO you have any suggestions rather than antibiotics?? I live in Georgetown, TX.

8. Dr. Felipe says:

This is the 1st year of my adult life that I have not been overwhelmed with seasonal allergies in September. Don’t know if it’s because I moved to NYC from White Plains recently (I doubt it), or that this is a merciful year (doubt that too), or that it hasn’t started yet (today is Sept 11th, 2007), or that it’s the new supplements I’m taking. I’d like to think the latter, but I need some corroboration. I’ve started taking borage oil, two caps/day for a total of 600mg GLA. GLA is supposed to be strongly anti-inflammatory. I also take fish oil (1000 mg/day of EPA/DHA), which is also anti-inflammatory. Maybe the combination of the two is making the difference. I swear, hardly a single symptom. Meanwhile, my mate and a friend has had a scratchy throat for weeks.

9. sonick says:

To the gentleman who mentioned Phoenix..

That would’ve been optimal… 20 years ago.

Today, Phoenix is an absolute torture-chamber for those with allergies. Mulberry, olive, ash, bermuda grass, ragweed, every single species transplanted individuals have trotted out with them and planted to make it more like “home”. The astronomical pollen count coupled with the persistent small dirt particulate (which is LOADED with mold/spores) and to top it all off, smog/pollution that would make Behjing jealous.

I didn’t even KNOW I could suffer from allergies until I moved to Phoenix, now I am miserable at least 4 of 7 days per week, all year round, sinus’ stopped up to blinding headaches. I never had a single allergy when I lived in central IL and Chicago.

Allergy sufferers moving to Phoenix or Tucson is tantamount to torture. Placing allergy-suffering prisoners of war in Phoenix would violate the Geneva convention. It is that bad. Nationwide, 20% of people suffer perceptibly for some degree of time yearly (usually blooming times). In Phoenix, 60% of people suffer perceptibly, 365 days per year.

Just to let you know, the days of Phoenix as an asthmatics/allergy-sufferers panacea are long over.

10. Valerie says:

I live in the Hudson Valley (Orange County, NY) and suffer from the usual sinus headaches, occational vertigo and dizzyness. I think it’s mostly from all the pine trees. One thing that has helped me though, is the Grossan Hydro Pulse Nasal and Sinus Irrigation System. It’s like a “water pik” for your nose. You can order it on-line. Many sites carry it. I used to get sinus infections several times each year. But no more, since I began using the Hydro Pulse in 2005. It helps if you use it every day when your symptoms are bad.

11. Lynn says:

a drier climate would help most people that suffer from sinus issues. I live in the midwest and when I go West, ie, Vegas, I suffer alot less. High humidity states such as midwest and south, are not good. The farther west you go , the better.

12. Lynn says:

although, no where will be perfect, if you get tested by an allergist and find out the best climate for your allergies, and get treated you should do better anywhere really. Using and air conditioner in summer and keeping your humidity levels down is what will help you most. Don’t wear alot of strong perfumes or smoke, also alot of times food is a contributer to nasal allergies, cut down on dairy food or eliminate it all together, try these things and bet you will feel better.

13. Joyce says:

In response to Jeanette’s post, (although 2007), regarding the effectiveness of the Earpopper, I purchased this device for year-roud allergic rhinitis. I had done a round of skin testing with my allergist who found sensitivities to cats, pollens, and molds. My symptoms were occasional bouts with vertigo, frequent dizziness resulting from eustachian tube dysfunction. She prescribed Claritin, decongestants, and Flonase. She also uses the Earpopper in her office and I can tell you the relief from the dizziness would be immediate,and the tubes would drain over the next two days. (It helps to sleep in an elevated position, also). I do not like using drugs because they carry the same side effects I am trying to avoid. She also suggested anti-inflammatory dietary measures such as fresh ginger (ground and boiled into a tea), the use of tumeric in cooking, vitamin C,
    quercetin, and the elimination of dairy, wheat and soy. The Earpopper can only be obtained by prescription, but she would not
    give me one. Perhaps if I had persisted long enough, she may have, but my family physician readily did, since he used it himself. His warnings were probably the reasons that the allergist had: the Earpopper can create a momentary dizziness if
    not used properly. The company says that their product is totally safe, and will not rupture the eardrum. I use the Earpopper only
    when I am dizzy. (I do not have hearing loss.) This amounts to once a week or once every two
    weeks, depending. I will sometimes take a Claritin but that would be so rare, maybe once every three weeks, if that. Also, I am being treated by a chiropractor for neck and back problems. He does not “crack the neck” in his practice (not a safe practice,
    related to stroke, please google for more info), but uses an activator and manipulation. All designed to align the vertebrae, and also relieve blocked eustachian tubes. He does not make any claims toward curing allergies, he just relieves the symptoms, and
    prevents furthur degeneration in my neck.

14. Scott says:

Hi Paul,

I thought I was nuts until I found your post today. For years I have been getting very bad headaches that I related to allergies. I get them mostly from fall to spring but still get them occasionally in the summer.

Last fall I flew to Vegas in early December. I always have problems with my ears plugging up/extreme pain when I fly. This trip wasn’t to bad but after a day or so my chest felt like a weight was sitting on it and I had bad headaches plus dizzyness. This didn’t go away when I got home to Rotterdam, NY. Actually, it didn’t subside until summer and now that it’s fall, it has all started coming back.

My doctor told me it was anxiety. His PA said he saw fluid in my ears and gave me a sample of nasonex which did nothing to help. My ears “click” each time I swallow. I can feel fluid move from one side to the other when I lay on one side and then rollover. I suffer from acid reflux which I believe is from the tons of post nasal drip I deal with daily. It seems to flare up when I am suffering one of these attacks.

I feel off ballance and dizzy, almost like I’m a split second behind. I turn my head and it feels like im still moving in that direction for a split second after I stopped. I’m also exhausted all the time.

I have tried nasal salines and they work to a small degree. Also Claritin D and Benadryl but they only ease the symptoms enough that I can somewhat function. Hot tea and hot showers help also.

I love the northeast and really don’t wish to move but if I found a place where these headaches would go away I’d be there in a heartbeat.

15. pam says:

I’ve been getting allergy shots for two years now and they help a lot (allergic to pollen, weeds, trees, dust mites, ragweed). I asked my allergist about the best place to live and he said San Diego, CA. But I’ve also heard that you can move somewhere and then develop new allergies to whatever grows there! Anyway, San Diego sounds really nice, if you can afford it.

16. Kevin says:

I lived in the Mid-Hudson Valley for 25+ years and suffered almost daily from the same allergy symptoms as described by AllergyNurse. 4 years ago, I relocated to Tokyo, Japan. All I can say is, hallelujah – what a relief! Tokyo is a concrete jungle but that may be what makes it my paradise. I haven’t had even the slightest symptom since moving here. I recently visited family back in NY, and within days of my arrival, the old allergy symptoms were back. Thank god I was only there for a couple of weeks. I a large urban environment with relatively low man-made pollution levels may be the best solution for ‘natural’ allergy sufferers like me.