Climate and asthma – worst places to live

“There’s no such thing as an ‘asthma-free’ city,” says Mike Tringale, Director of Communications at Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. This is from a February 8, 2006, press release announcing the 2006 U.S. Asthma Capitals.

Topping the list are Scranton, PA, Richmond, VA, and Philadelphia, PA. Only one southern city, 4th ranked Atlanta, GA, made the top ten this year. You can check out the entire list of 100 Worst Cities for Asthma in 2006 from the AAFA website.

This is the third year AAFA has ranked cities for asthma. During the first two years, southern cities took the top three spots with the exception of third-ranked St. Louis, MO in 2005. St. Louis has consistently scored in the top ten all three years. In 2004, KY and TN topped the list, and last year (2005) Little Rock, AR (directly east of my western AR location) and St. Louis, MO (directly to my north) took the #2 and #3 spots. This year brought some surprises, as the North Central and North Eastern seaboard areas seem to dominate. See the 2004, 2005, and 2006 lists to see how your area fares.

Feel free to share any local reports or commentary from your area in the comments. Copyrighted material should be in the form of links with your comments about the link. Please do not post copyrighted material, with the exception of a brief sentence to introduce the link.

1. […] CentreDaily.com reports reaction from the Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania area. Scranton, PA, was recently listed #1 on the Asthma and Allergy Foundation’s “most challenging places to live with asthma” list. (See our February 18 report of the AAFA list.) […]

2. TINISHA BARNES says:

I HAVE ALLERGIES AND MY SON HAS ASTHMA AND HE IS 2YEARS OF AGE IS CHARLOTTE,NC A GOOD PLACE FOR US TO LIVE

3. Russ Hibler says:

What are the best places to live for those with asthma?

4. AllergyNurse says:

That would make a great research project for an organization to undertake, wouldn’t it? Along with the 10 worst cities for asthma, we then could have an idea of the 10 best cities.

Of course in the end it is all subjective. Everyone is different, and a climate that is great for one may not always be good for another. The goal of Allergy Climates is to provide a place for discussion so folks try various climates that have helped others to see if they will work for them.

5. Shashank Rohatgi says:

Do you have data on best or worst Indian Cities for patients of Asthma and COPD.

6. AllergyNurse says:

For Shashank Rohatgi:
    I have none, and I’m not sure if any studies have been done on best climates for asthma in India. However, I will be happy to post any documented climate research or personal comments related to climate and allergies from those who’ve lived in India. Please post it at our “Best Climate” form:

I will put it in the lineup to be published as a new post, starting a thread for India.

7. Nikole says:

You listed the worst places to live if you suffer from ashtma and allergies, but what are the best places?

8. AllergyNurse says:

See comment #3 and my response in commment #4 above. The study I quoted did not study the best places.

9. Maria says:

For years I thought living in Florida, with the warm humid climate was the best for asthma. Is this true or not? Which is better overall? humid or dry?

10. Johanna says:

I’m aware that it takes money for funding but I feel that knowing the best and worse of something is better since that gives people options if they are in the worse place, to know where to re-locate. I’m also aware that this changes as all statistical data does over time. Ss you do the data for the best places, more will move there, bring with them more smog, and more pollution, hence ruining the air quality. Still would be nice to see and know.

11. Holly says:

Asthma has triggers. The American Lung Association web site has air quality reports of all the states & counties (you may use this to do your own research). I also have a child with asthma and in search for the best state to live with asthma.

12. AllergyNurse says:

We started a new topic on February 8, 2007: Asthma Capitals for 2007. Comments are going to be closed here, and any further comments or conversation in this thread can be made at the new post for 2007 Asthma Capitals.

13. […] with Schering-Plough Corporation, has released it’s study of the ten best and worst places to live with allergies […]