Best climate: Alaska?

I have asthma and allergies such as grasses, cat, dog, mold, trees. I am thinking about moving to Alaska. How will that affect my problem? Where would you suggest I move to in order to find some relief? — C.B., North Carolina

[Originally posted to AllergyNursing.com on January 22, 2003]

1. AllergyNurse says:

I was a bit surprised to read information about the climate of Alaska. You may be also. Click here.

[Originally posted to AllergyNursing.com on January 22, 2003]

2. AllergyNurse says:

[Posted by A.S. by way of AllergyNurse.  Originally posted to AllergyNursing.com on January 30, 2003]

My daughter has strong allergies to many things, such as grasses, molds, pets, and dust. We have somewhat recently moved from New Jersey to Alaska. We have been through the four seasons twice already. What a difference ! It really does make a difference. My daughter enjoys outside remarkably more than before. — A.S., Alaska

3. AllergyNurse says:

Thank you for sharing. There are certain areas that generally seem better for allergy sufferers. However, allergy sufferers don’t always find relief in these “magic” areas. Moving is a big step for most people. It would be prudent to visit and spend some time in the area before making a decision.

Regarding Alaska, some of the item’s I read last week in researching the climate indicated that there are actually several different climates in Alaska. Some might offer better relief from your allergies than others.

[Originally posted to AllergyNursing.com on January 30, 2003]

4. AllergyNurse says:

[Post by SKH by way of AllergyNurse. Originally posted to AllergyNursing.com on January 30, 2003]

As for Alaska being a good place to move to avoid allergies, don’t pack your bags yet. I do pollen counts in Fairbanks and we have our fair share of allegens. If you are allergic to Birch, Alder, Cottonwood, Aspen, Poplar this is probably not the place for you. For more information, see our website. — SKH, Alaska

5. AllergyNurse says:

Thanks for sharing this! I’m interested in hearing experiences from others who have moved to a different location to avoid allergies. Is there an allergy-free climate out there?

[Originally posted to AllergyNursing.com on August 13, 2003]

6. Jeff says:

I have lived in Alaska since May 07′. I have asthma, and it is significantly worse here, as well as my allergies. I moved from Houston. I know this sounds surprising, but it is surprising to me too!
    I think it has something to do with the fact that they don’t have air conditioners to reduce humidity in homes (increases mold). My towels tend to mildue no matter how I hang them up. I also live in an apartment with excellent circulation. In addition, it takes several days for my apartment in Anchorage to accumulate as much dust on furniture and appliances as I accumulated in a month or more in Texas. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I think winter might be better though.

7. Amanda says:

Take a trip to the place you are considering and stay there for a week. See if you have any immediate reactions. Every person is different. I think the best solution is exposure. Visit the place you are thinking about, being prepared with necessary allergy medicine, inhalers, etc., and just see what happens.

As for my personal story, I lived in coastal North Carolina for many years and was plagued by allergy problems that were closely tied to asthma. I would have sneezing, runny nose and eyes, and asthmatic reactions to something in the air there. However, when I visited the mountains of western NC, I noticed a marked improvement. I moved to Maine for 4 years where I experienced no allergy symptoms whatsoever! I have taken several trips in the U.S. and assumed it was the mountains that somehow cured by symptoms, but was proven wrong upon a trip to Montana during which I had constant problems with asthma. Now I live in the state of New York, and I am still allergy-free! It all depends on yourself as an individual. I found that the North East Nebraska were not problems for me. However, North Carolina and Montana were.